June 15th 2020
STATEMENT ON RACIAL INJUSTICE
The Mary Ward family, the Congregation of Jesus (CJ) and the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary (IBVM) join in prayer with the families and friends of victims of cruel and senseless killings.
We stand in solidarity with all those who have raised their voices against the injustice perpetrated on many in racially-motivated attacks. The deaths of George Floyd, 46 (Minneapolis, Minnesota); Ahmaud Arbery, 25 (Brunswick, Georgia) and Breonna Taylor, 26 (Louisville, Kentucky) are painful reminders in the recent past of senseless and irresponsible behaviour and attitudes in persons who should be trusted to keep the peace.
St. Irenaeus says: “The Glory of God is a human person fully alive” and we, the Mary Ward Family, work for the Glory of God and believe that all lives are sacred, irrespective of colour, race, creed, political affiliation, gender, or social status.
We commit to pray constantly:
- For comfort and justice for all victims of racial discrimination, violence and injustice, and for their families
- For an end to racism and all the injustices that come with it
- To identify any tendencies, conscious and unconscious, in ourselves that could promote racism
- For the inclusion of everyone. Venerable Mary Ward, our Foundress, taught us that ‘God is rich enough for us all’
- To promote the dignity of each human person.